SQA Scots Language Award course
The Scots Language Centre, in partnership with West O-S, have developed a series of videos and activities to support the learning and teaching of the Scots Language Award.
The videos focus on the two compulsory units within the award:
- Scots Language: History and Development; and
- Scots Language: Understanding and Communicating
Each video is accompanied by classroom activities that learners can undertake with the support of their teacher. The activities encourage learners to engage with resources such as:
- The Origins of Scots video (in English and in Scots);
- The History of Scots video and learning resources;
- The Scotticisms resource from the National Library of Scotland’s ‘The Scottish Enlightenment’ site;
- ASL’s Place-Names of Scotland resource;
- The Twa Chrisses by Morna Young (narrated story with transcript);
- Education Scotland's 100 Key Words in Scots resource and
- The Scots language Dictionary for schools app on (Apple) and (Android)
You can access the SQA Unit Specifications for the award, available at SCQF levels 4 – 6, here.
Downloadable activities for each video are available within the ‘Teachers’ Notes’ section for each video.
Learner and class assessment records are downloadable below, along with a 'Useful Links' document. The full video playlist, featuring the 8 videos for the course as well as other organisations' videos which complement the teaching of the course, is available on YouTube.