Terms and conditions
Any reference to "we", "us" and "our" is to Scots Language Centre. Please see below for our contact details. Any reference to “you” or “your”, means you as user of the http://www.scotslanguage.com/ (the "Website").
What information do we hold about you and how is it collected?
When you register for various services on the website or when you otherwise update your registration details, personal information is collected by us. You may also be asked to provide personal information when buying or subscribing for content from us via the website.
In addition, in common with many other online services, we may use "cookies" or other devices to store and sometimes track information about you (see section entitled "Cookies" below).
How do we use information about you?
We use information about you to help us provide you with a more personalised service which is tailored to suit your needs.
Your personal information may be used by us to:
- monitor, develop and improve the website, services and your experience;
- assist in and administer the provision of services to you;
- process and deal with any complaints or enquiries made by or about you;
- where you are a prize winner, to administer the competition prize and to publish or otherwise make available a list of prize winners.
Where and only where requested by you we will:
- send you and keep you updated with information by email, telephone (including SMS) or mail about existing and new services and special offers from us; and/or
- send you information by email, telephone or mail about related products or services of selected third parties that may be of interest to you; and
To opt-out of receiving any such communications, you can use the facility contained in any such communication or you can email us at the email address below or write to us by mail to the address below stating that you do not wish to receive further communications from us.
Amending your information
Where you register your details for certain services (such as our regular newsletter) and open a user account that you can then use to access and log on to use those services. You may change or update your user name and password or other details at any time via your account. You must make sure that you update details as soon as possible with any and all relevant changes.
Cookies and other such devices
A cookie is a small amount of data sent from our server and stored on your computer's hard drive.
- to allow you to carry information across pages of our website and avoid having to re-enter information;
- within registration to allow you to access stored information;
- to help us recognise you as a unique visitor when you return to our website and to allow us to tailor content or advertisements to match your preferred interests or to avoid showing you the same adverts repeatedly;
- within research surveys to ensure you are not invited to complete a questionnaire too often or after you have already done so; and/or
- to gather aggregate non personal data to help us improve the services to you. We will also use aggregate non personal data to track the success of any advertising campaigns on our website and/or to provide to third parties anonymised demographic data provided by you to target advertising more appropriately.
Find out how to disable/enable cookies by clicking on the “Manage Cookies” section of the Interactive Advertising Bureau website on the following link http://www.allaboutcookies.org/
Will we share your information with third parties?
We may pass your information to other parties as follows:
- where relevant, your user name and information you voluntarily provide in your profile that you register with us will be published on areas of the website such as forums, chat rooms or pages where user submissions are displayed and this will be the identity by which you are known on those areas. Where other users wish to chat or otherwise contact you, they will be able to identify you by your user name and any other information you may yourself disclose via the website;
- we may pass your personal information to our employees, contractors, suppliers and/or agents to administer the services provided to you by us now or in the future;
- If you call our customer care call centre, we may pass your personal information to our call centre to allow them to deal with your call more efficiently;
- some general statistical information about the website user base, sales patterns, traffic volumes and related matters may be passed on to reputable third parties but these details will not include information personally identifying you; and
We do not pass or sell your personal information to third persons for any other purpose than those set out above. Any marketing referred to in the section entitled "How do we use information about you?" is conducted by us on behalf of third parties and they do not have any access to your data unless you yourself choose to contact them.
Always think carefully before disclosing your personal information or other information to other users of the website or otherwise posting your personal information on the website. It is important that you are aware that any of your personal information or other information which you disclose to another user may then be disclosed on the website by that user. We have no responsibility or control over the contents of communications made between users of the website.
Security and how do we protect your information?
We endeavour to take all reasonable steps to protect your personal information. Where possible we use industry-standard technology to allow for the encryption of sensitive information.
Scots Language Resource Centre Association Ltd. t/a Scots Language Centre, A.K. Bell Library, York Place, Perth, Scotland PH2 8EP
Registered in Scotland as an Industrial & Provident Society No. 2451R(S). Scottish Charity No. SCO21747
Scots Language in Scotland's Census 2011 | Shetland and Orcadian Scots dialect | Caithness Scots dialect | North East Doric Scots dialect | East central Scots dialects | Angus and Tayside Scots Dialect | Galloway Scots Dialect | West Central Scots Dialect | Borders Scots Dialect | Ulster Scots Dialect | Scotch language | Scots leid | Scottish Language | Ulster Scots Dialect |